Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fiesta is a delicious recipe with a Mexican flair. If you like Mexican food like our family does, you’re sure to find this dish a hit. And my nine-year-old wants me to tell you it’s even easy enough that she can make it. Seriously. She made it the first time we were testing it and it turned out great. You can do it too.
We love slow cooker recipes that are easy enough to add the ingredients and set them on low and let them go all day. And when dinner time rolls around, we gather a few simple sides and dinner is on the table. It seems so effortless to make dinner with recipes like that. This is one!
Boneless, skinless chicken breast
Fire roasted diced tomatoes
What To Serve With Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fiesta
This is one of those dishes that we want to keep simple because let’s face it, there are some days that are so busy sometimes we need something to eat that we can just put together and it will be ready at the end of the day. These sides are in keeping with that simplicity. Here are some ideas:
Minute Rice, brown or white
Crumbled cauliflower (low carb)
Ways To Serve Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fiesta
Part of the great thing about easy slow cooker chicken fiesta is that that it is so versatile. You can make enough for leftovers and serve it totally different the next day to have what feels like a new meal, without all the hassle and time investment of making the bulk of another dish. Here are ways you can serve this delicious dish:
As a dip with tortilla chips
Over rice, brown or white
Over crumbled cauliflower (low carb)
In crispy corn taco shells
In soft flour tortilla shells In soft corn tortillas
In a lettuce wrap
As a salad topping
Top with guacamole, salsa, shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream, refried beans
How To Make Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fiesta
Easy slow cooker chicken can literally be put together in less than 10 minutes. But then it needs to cook most of the day. It’s a matter of having a few fresh ingredients and opening some pantry staples and combining the two. Here are the instructions:
1 Boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 15 oz Can diced tomatoes, fire roasted
1 15 oz Can black beans
1 15 oz Can sweet corn
8 oz. Cream cheese
2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Taco seasoning
1 tsp Chili seasoning
1 tsp Garlic salt
All you need are a few kitchen staples in order to make this recipe and you’re off. You probably already have everything on hand that you’ll need. Here’s what you’re looking for:
You’ll start with a large boneless, skinless chicken breast and season it generously with your trusty salt and seasonings. You can use frozen chicken too, but if you do you’ll want to increase the cook time to be sure that your poultry is thoroughly done.
Our favorite veggies for this dish are tomatoes, black beans and sweet corn. But you might also decide to try adding onion, green, red or even jalapeños no peppers to give some added flavor.
Using a generous combination of fire roasted tomatoes, black beans and sweet corn gives this dish a wholesome and delicious outcome. If you are not familiar with fire roasted tomatoes, you can likely find them at your grocery store in the canned vegetable section. They have slightly blackened skins so that they seem like they’ve been roasted on a fire.
Grab your taco seasoning and chili seasoning as well as salt and garlic salt to season this dish. You might also like to garnish with chopped fresh cilantro like many of the authentic Mexican dishes.
You’ll want to wait until the very last few minutes to add the cream cheese. Dairy based items can be delicate in the slow cooker. Because this dish tends to come to a boil as a result of its long cook time, adding the cream cheese at the end will allow it to avoid curdling through the heated process. It will maintain its fresh smoothy consistency that you desire.
We use minute rice most often for side dishes at our house because the kids aren’t usually patient enough to wait for rice to simmer for a half hour. Just regular rice, brown or white works perfectly.
1. Place large thawed boneless, skinless chicken breast in the bottom of slow cooker. Season with salt, taco seasoning, chili seasoning and garlic salt.
2. Drain and rinse black beans and corn. Add tomatoes, black beans, sweet corn and heat on low for 6 hours. Or for a shorter cook time, heat on high for 4 hours.
3. Once chicken has finished cooking, use fork to pull the chicken apart. Add cream cheese, mix thoroughly and heat until warmed through.
4. If mixture has too much liquid, remove lid and allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
5. Top with shredded cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream. Serve warm and as always, enjoy!
Can I Bake This Instead?
Yes. You can absolutely bake Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fiesta instead of cooking it in the slow cooker. Maybe you didn’t think ahead to put it in the crockpot this morning, but you want to have it for dinner tonight. That can be done. To alter the recipe, cube the chicken breast into 1 inch pieces so that it cooks more rapidly in the oven. Pan fry it on the stovetop to brown it first for best results. Then dump in the other ingredients and bake covered at 400F for 1 hour, or until the chicken is thoroughly done.
How Long Can I Keep It In The Refrigerator?
Slow Cooker Chicken Fiesta will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. After that it should be frozen or discarded.
How To Store, Freeze and Reheat Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fiesta
Chicken Fiesta can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 4 months. The best way to store is in an airtight plastic container, jar or Ziploc bag.
To reheat, place on the stovetop in a saucepan with a little oil and warm, stirring regularly until heated through. It can also be covered with a paper towel and reheated in the microwave for 1-3 minutes until warm.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fiesta
- slow cooker
- can opener
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 15 oz Can diced tomatoes, fire roasted
- 1 15 oz Can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 15 oz Can sweet corn , drained
- 8 oz Cream cheese
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Taco seasoning
- 1 tsp Chili seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic salt
- Place large thawed boneless, skinless chicken breast in the bottom of slow cooker. Season with salt, taco seasoning, chili seasoning and garlic salt.
- Drain and rinse black beans and corn. Add tomatoes, black beans, sweet corn and heat on low for 6 hours. Or for a shorter cook time, heat on high for 4 hours
- Once chicken has finished cooking, use fork to pull the chicken apart. Add cream cheese, mix thoroughly and heat until warmed through.
- If mixture has too much liquid, remove lid and allow some of the liquid to evaporate
- Top with shredded cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream. Serve warm and as always, enjoy!
More Delicious One Pan Chicken Recipes
What Other Chili Recipes Can I Make?
Have you tried this recipe? Leave us a star rating in the comments below and let us know what you think.