Oh my goodness. You are going to want to try this recipe if you like a delicious banana bread! This is banana bread perfection. And for a good reason. Janet’s banana bread is a one-of-a-kind recipe that will keep you wanting to come back for more. Seriously.
This recipe is so moist and firm on the inside and has just the right crisp on the outside. And we can’t forget to mention the classic streusel topping that adds the finishing touch that makes it perfect in our opinion.
For Streusel Topping
History of Janet’s Banana Bread
We have a sweet neighbor, named Janet whom our family is so fond of. She always calls on our girls’ birthdays to sing to them or drops by with homemade cupcakes made just for them. She’s the kind of neighbor that neighbors just love to have. The old fashioned, down to earth friend who is a friend indeed.
One of the things about Janet, along with her love for others, is she is an excellent cook. Her homemade meals and goodies are always top notch, and we know we’re in for a treat when she sends something down to our house. It’s like we’re eating gourmet. That’s what we always say. And that’s why we have passionately chosen to name this wonderful quick bread “Janet’s Banana Bread”.
How to Pick The Right Bananas
How do you know if your bananas are just right for making Janet’s banana bread? For the best results, it is important to use bananas that are just right. This will give the sweetest and greatest moisture in the outcome of your bread. The best bananas are the ones that have turned totally brown and are very ripe. If your bananas are green, you can place them in a brown paper bag on the kitchen counter to speed up the ripening process.
If your bananas are not yet fully brown, the next best choice would be to use ripe, dark yellow bananas that have some brown spots. They will be very sweet and will also have a moisture content, so are a good choice. For the best results, try to avoid using green bananas.
When I buy bananas, sometimes my children will purposely not eat them because they’d rather have me make them into Janet’s banana bread than eat them as bananas. I feel like eating them as banana bread is practically eating them as cake. So, I can’t say as I blame them.
How To Make Janet’s Banana Bread
Banana bread is considered a quick bread because it uses baking powder and baking soda as its leavening agent. The speed of production is what makes it quick, compared to a yeast bread method. This recipe is quite easy to make, and the addition of the streusel nut topping makes it almost like eating coffee cake.
Ingredients for Banana Bread
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 ½ cups mashed bananas (3 large)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
½ cup cooking oil or melted butter or margarine
1 recipe streusel nut topping (optional)
Ingredients for Streusel Nut Topping
¼ cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x5x3” loaf pan and set aside.
- Combine eggs, sugar, bananas and oil in a mixer and mix well. Add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and flour and blend well until just moistened. Transfer mixture to baking pan.
- For optional streusel nut topping, combine ¼ cup packed brown sugar and 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped walnuts. Sprinkle on top of the batter mixture.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover loosely with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent over browning.
- Cool in a pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and serve or wrap and store in an airtight container overnight if desired.
For more recipes like this one, follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Have you made Janet’s Banana Bread? Leave this recipe a star rating in the comments below. We love to hear from you.
You might also like:
Greatest All-American Pizza
Best Loaded Potato Salad
3 thoughts on “Janet’s Banana Bread Easy Recipe With Streusel Topping”
My first time making banana bread or any kind of bread! This recipe was easy and turned out moist and delicious!
Glad you liked it! Thanks for letting us know!
This is the only recipe I use