Rudy’s Hot Dog has become an all-time famous menu item at the iconic Toledo, Ohio restaurant Rudy’s. People drive from near and far to enjoy this delicious and retro Coney Island style hot dog. It included a chili style sauce on a hot dog, topped with mustard and diced onion.
Though Rudy’s holds their family recipe as top secret, this copy copycat recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings for a Rudy’s Hot Dog. And while there are a variety of menu items available, their best selling and most popular item has remained their famous Rudy Dog.
Hot Dog Buns
History of Rudy’s Hot Dog
Rudy’s Hot Dog was founded in 1920 by Rudy Poturedes, according to its website. It started with a single hot dog stand and grew into opening a restaurant and later a chain at 6 locations. After the passing of Rudy, the Dionyssiou brothers (Harry and Andreas) took over the restaurant and moved it to its current location on Sylvania in 1971.
Rudy’s remains a staple in the Toledo Ohio. People come from near and far to dine at the famous restaurant. The legacy continues to be passed down from generation to generation. And it is estimated that the Rudy’s nostalgia will always remain.
Location of Rudy’s Hot Dog
Each of the restaurant location is owned and operated by a family member who continues to work hard to continue the legacy that started over 100 years ago. Harry and Andreas are presidents of Rudy’s and have packed a lot of hard work and family pride into their hot dog empire. It includes a chain of 6 restaurants located in and around Toledo, Ohio, as follows:
946 W Sylvania Ave
Toledo, OH 43612
phone (419) 478-7095
6069 N Summit Street
Toledo, OH 43611
phone (419) 729-5781
3208 W Alexis Road
Toledo, OH 43613
4748 Monroe Street
Toledo, OH 43623
phone (419) 472-4813
4747 Glendale Ave
Toledo, OH 43614
phone (419) 382-2210
7170 Orchard Centre
Toledo, OH 43623
phone (419) 867-0321
How To Warm The Hot Dog and Bun
Since Rudy’s Hot Dog is intended to be coney island style, we recommend boiling the hot dog and steaming the bun. Here’s how:
Bring a pan of water to boil on the stovetop. Add the hot dog and warm until heated through. While the hot dog is boiling, place a grate over the top of the pan of boiling water and set the open bun on the grate. Cover the top with tented aluminum foil. Heat until warm. This will make an extremely soft and delicious tasting bun.
How To Store Rudy’s Hot Dog Sauce
Rudy’s Hot Dog Sauce can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. It can be frozen in a zipped plastic bag for up to 3 months.
How To Reheat Rudy’s Sauce
Rudy’s Hot Dog Sauce can be reheated in a saucepan on the stovetop, while adding a few drops of water to keep it moist and from burning. Or it can be reheated in the microwave oven for a few seconds.
What To Eat With Rudy’s Hot Dog
We think that a Coney Island style hot dog has somewhat of a casual and iconic feel. Here are some items that pair well and ideas of what to eat with Rudy’s Hot Dog:
Hot Dog Buns
1 White Onion, diced finely
1 lb Hamburger
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Pepper
Salt to taste
How To Make Rudy’s Hot Dog Sauce
1. Brown hamburger in a frying pan until there is no pink left. Crumble into as tiny pieces as possible, using a potato masher.
2. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and paprika. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce to low heat and simmer until liquid has mostly evaporated.
3. Keep well stirred. Add more salt or spices to taste.
4. Dice white onion.
5. Warm hot dogs thoroughly in boiling water. Steam the buns until warm and soft.
6. Serve warm hot dogs with sauce, diced onion, and a squirt of mustard. Enjoy!
Rudy’s Hot Dog
- Medium frying pan
- large saucepan
- Hot Dogs
- Hot Dog Buns
- 1 White Onion, diced finely
- 1 lb Hamburger
- 1½ tsp Salt
- Dash of Pepper
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Brown ground beef in a frying pan until there is no pink left. Crumble into as tiny pieces as possible, using a potato masher.
- Add paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce to low heat and simmer until liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Keep well stirred. Add more salt and spices to taste, if needed.
- Dice white onion.
- Warm hot dogs thoroughly in boiling water. Steam the buns until warm and soft.
- Serve warm hot dogs with sauce, diced onion, and a squirt of mustard. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe? Leave us a star rating in the comments below and let us know what you think.