This is the absolute BEST Black Tie Mousse Cake Recipe. It tastes just like Olive Garden’s. If you’ve had theirs, you know how delicious it is and that it’s to die for. And if you’ve had it, have you ever wondered how you can make it at home for a fraction of the cost? Well, I’m here to help you with that one.
We have researched and tested this recipe and have come up with one that we think tastes just like the real deal. The process can be slightly time consuming. But let me tell you, it’s so worth every minute of time to indulge yourself in the delicious results. Just make sure you allow enough preparation time so that you can allow for the portions to chill as instructed. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a soupy mess.
Copycat Olive Garden Black Tie Mousse Cake
Why Choose This Recipe
There are three main reasons you should choose this recipe: It is the best recipe out there. Yes, we’ve researched the search results for Black Tie Mousse Cake Recipe and there are a few options, but they can leave a bit to be desired.
The second reason you should choose this recipe is because it tastes just like the Olive Garden Black Tie Mousse Cake. It looks and feels authentic in every way.
And finally, you should choose this recipe because while it is so rich and delicious, it is also quite easy and straightforward to prepare. Yes, it takes a bit of time to prepare all four layers, but you’ll be glad you did.
A New Mousse Cake Recipe
I was thumbing through some recipes trying to determine the perfect cake to make for my sister’s birthday this year. Those of you who know her already know that the is a baker extraordinaire. So, I wanted the cake I would make, a gift for her to be not just a plain Jane cake, but to be something really special.
And then I settled on the Black Tie Mousse Cake. I ended up texting her with a few questions along the way, but after all she is the family expert when it comes to cakes. I don’t think she minded my inquiring and the cake did turn out delicious!
Ingredient Notes for Black Tie Mousse Cake
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients. For the best results, we recommend avoiding Hershey brand baking cocoa.
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Knox Unflavored Gelatin
White Chocolate Chips
Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Making This Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
There are multiple steps to making this cake, but none of these are difficult. Most of the time required to make this cake is chilling time. And that’s the best part about making this cake in advance. It is set up perfectly to do so.
Keep in mind that the key to having this cake turn out well is to not rush it. You’ll end up with a soupy melted mess. Rather, take your time and work through each step, allowing it to cool every step of the way. There is a lot of chocolate and heavy whipped cream in this cake. And there is value in letting those ingredients cool before moving on to the next step. You’ll be glad you did. The results are amazing!
Substitutes In This Recipe
Can I Substitute Milk or Half and Half For the Heavy Cream?
No. You cannot substitute milk or half and half in place of the heavy cream. The high fat content is needed in the heavy cream to allow stiff peaks to form when it is whipped. Using milk or half and half would not give the same texture and outcome.
Can I Use Chocolate Chips in This Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe?
Yes. Using chocolate chips where chocolate is called for works just fine for this recipe. Chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips are usually readily available in most grocery stores. Using chocolate chips does not alter the flavor or consistency and is a good solution.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Black Tie Mousse Cake
In the following step by step instructions, we’ll take you through how to build each of the four layers of the Black Tie Mousse Cake.Gather each of the ingredients, then make sure you’ve got plenty of time on your hands, so you won’t be rushed. It will all be worthwhile when you get done and you can sit back, put your feet up and enjoy a wonderful slice of Black Tie Mousse Cake.
Black Tie Mousse Cake Recipe
Layer 1: Bottom Chocolate Cake
1 cup sugar
1 ¼ cup flour
½ cup cocoa
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt2 eggs
½ cup milk
¼ cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease a 9 inch cake pan and edges.
3. Mix together 1 cup sugar, 1 ¼ cup flour, ½ cup cocoa, ½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt.
4. Add 2 eggs, ½ cup milk, ¼ cup olive oil, and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
5. Pour ½ cup boiling water into the mix in a steady stream. This will make the batter runny.
6. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
7. Let the cake cool. Then use a large knife to level the top of the cake.
8. Place the leveled cake in the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. And allow to cool completely.
Layer 2: Chocolate Mousse
4 oz cream cheese
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp Knox unflavored gelatin
1 tbsp cold water 2 tbsp boiling water
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup powdered sugar
1. Melt ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 4 oz cream cheese together in the microwave. Use 30 second intervals.Mix to make sure no lumps remain. Set aside to cool.
2. Mix 1 tbsp cold water with 1 tsp gelatin to soften the gelatin. Then add 2 tbsp boiling water and whisk until dissolved.
3. Add 1 cup heavy cream and ¼ cup powdered sugar. Beat on high until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold the chocolate and cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream. Mix completely.
5. Spread the chocolate mousse layer over the chocolate cake in an even layer. Cool in the refrigerator.
Layer 3: White Chocolate Mousse
1 tbsp cold water
1 tsp Knox unflavored gelatin
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1. Soften 1 tsp unflavored gelatin in 1 tbsp cold water.
2. Boil ½ cup heavy cream, then whisk gelatin in until dissolved.
3. Pour boiling cream over 1 cup white chocolate chips and stir until melted.
4. Add 1 cup heavy cream into a mixing bowl. Beat until stiff peaks form.
5. Gently fold in melted white chocolate. Mix completely.
6. Spread over the chocolate mousse in a nice even layer.
7. Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before adding the ganache layer.
Layer 4: Chocolate Ganache
¼ cup white chocolate chips
1 bag mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
18 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1. Heat 1 ½ cups heavy cream in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
2. Pour the boiling cream over 3 ¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips. Stir until melted and completely smooth. Allow to cool until still pourable, but not a hot liquid.
3. Remove the cake from the springform pan and carefully move to a cake platter.
4. Once the ganache has cooled, pour 2/3 over the top allowing it to cover the entire top and run down the sides.
5. Press mini semi-sweet chocolate chips into the sides of the cake.
6. Pour the remaining ganache into a piping bag. Allow it to become cool enough to be pliable. Using a star tip, pipe the ganache around the top rim of the cake.
7. Melt and drizzle white chocolate chips across the top of the cake. Store in the refrigerator until it is served.
Recipe FAQs and Expert Tips
This recipe calls for a significant amount of chilling time, so be sure to plan for it.
The total amount of heavy cream needed for this recipe is 1 quart.
To slice this cake making nice clean cuts, run a sharp knife under hot water, dry and then carefully cut the first slice. Repeat for each slice.
The total amount of semi-sweet chocolate needed for this recipe is 24 oz.
You might also like:
Best Egg Drop Sandwich Recipe
Have you tried this recipe? Leave us a star rating in the comments below and let us know what you think.
For more recipes like this one, follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Share on Pinterest!
This is a recipe I came up with to replicate the real thing.