This Applebee’s Chicken Tortilla Soup knockoff recipe is an easy to make, hearty soup. It’s made with juicy chicken, wonderful vegetables and loaded with delicious toppings. The best part of all is this soup recipe was created so that it can be whipped up in 30 minutes or less if using pre-cooked chicken. I like to cook the chicken ahead in the crockpot for the most juicy and effortless outcome.
The weather is starting to get warmer, and I decided I’d better get my last few good soup days in. I should mention though that we do eat soup year-round, just not as frequently when the hot summer weather arrives. I think Applebee’s Chicken Tortilla Soup is more enjoyable on a cool, cloudy or rainy day than it is on a hot sunny summer day. Hot soup has a way of wonderfully warming the body.
Shopping List – What You Need
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts or Tenderloins
Spices: chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper
If you like heat, add jalapeño (we left it out in our video because our eaters are not fond of the heat). For more heat, leave in the seeds, for less heat, remove the seeds and pepper ribs.
Fresh Lime Juice
Cheese – Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, or your favorite cheese
1 tbsp butter
1 ¼ lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts or Tenderloins
1 Chopped Yellow Onion
3 Cloves Minced Garlic
1 tsp of each of cumin powder, chili powder and paprika
1 32 oz carton Chicken Broth
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
1 can diced, stewed tomatoes
1 cup milk
2/3 cup heavy cream
1. Cook 1 ¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins in the crockpot for 4 hours on low, or until cooked through.
2. Heat 2 tbsp butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 3 tbsp minced garlic cloves, 1 chopped onion and jalapeño (if desired). Sauté until transparent in appearance and slightly browned.
3. Add 1 tsp of each of cumin powder, chili powder and paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Add 1 carton (32 oz) of chicken broth, 1 ¼ pounds chopped and pre-cooked chicken pieces, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed, 1 can sweet corn, drained, 1 can, diced stewed tomatoes. Mix well.
5. Add 1 cup milk and 2/3 cup of heavy cream. Stir until mixed thoroughly. Add 1 15oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed. Heat until warmed through.
For serving, we use toppings such as diced avocado, cilantro, fresh lime juice, tortilla chips, sour cream, lime wedges, a blend of cheeses including Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, and Cheddar.
And as always, Enjoy!
Gluten Free Option: This recipe is naturally gluten free.
Keyword: Applebee’s Chicken Tortilla Soup Knockoff
This recipe is not intended to be a copycat and exact replication of the Applebee’s Chicken Tortilla Soup, but rather is a knockoff. It is intended to be a reminder of the delicious, beautiful and hearty soup that can be purchased at Applebee’s.
If you tried this recipe, let us know how you liked it in the comments below.
Looking for a simple grilled cheese idea, but don’t know what to have with it? Check out these ideas in What To Eat With Grilled Cheese: 16 Of The Best Sides. Also check out these chicken ideas in, I Feel Like Chicken Tonight!
Share it on Pinterest!
This is a recipe I came up with to replicate the real thing.